Breaking Barriers

There's one thing that all 'gay-dar' professionals can do which I can't, and that's maintain eye contact with a man who catches your eye in the street. Well, at first I had no idea what gay-dar even was until I was told it's that je ne se qois that helps you identify other men who are *ahem* like you :) (or me for that matter). Trying to spot them is quite difficult if you ask me, but like I said, I'm not a professional.

One tip I can give you though is that i've quite noticed that a large number of lawyers in the city are either gay or claim to be bisexual... secretly though. I have no idea why but I know quite a number... not to mean I'm in the scene. Well here's how it all works - there's the scene; a popular 'gay pool' in which a large number of gays around Nairobi know each other  (and one which I try to stay out of) and then there's those, like myself, who try to stay away from that pool and just live our lives.

I remember how I found out about some regularly held gay parties around town when I turned 18 and my (straight acting) best friend then, Karl and his boyfriend Kim decided to take me for a 'treat' at a popular club then around Alliance Francaise. What I didn't know was that it was a gay party! The corridor that led up a staircase was dimly lit and I unsuspectingly followed my best friend to the top where we pulled back some blinds and walked into what was evidently a get-together at its peak!

There was a stripper's pole dead center of the club where a drag queen, the first I had ever seen in my life, was doing her, sorry his thing. The gender rate was clearly 85% in favour of men, in all shapes and sizes but at that moment I didn't even want to be spotted by any familiar faces or otherwise. I sat down on a couch to my right and observed, in utter shock, what was going on. There was a couple of slim guys and evidently fit guys, erotically grinding against each other near the entrance I almost thought they'd take off their clothes any minute and get down to business.



Across the room there was another pair on the plump leather couches, the more mature guy, around 30 years of age with his eyes closed, moaning gently as a younger guy, around my age I guess, giving him a blowjob! By this time of course my best buddies had vanished somewhere into the packed premises and I was left to fend for myself, quietly stretching my hands out on the sofa and observing.

Admittedly I was too afraid to move a muscle and spent the better part of that evening at the exact same spot, which was close to two hours. At some point, a not too bad looking guy, muscled and all but with an average visage, shorter than myself though mustered up enough courage and came up to me...

'Hi...' he said, stretching out his hand to shake mine, 'I'm Willy... haven't seen you around before, you're new here right?' Meaning he was part of 'the scene'.

'We're going Calvin...' Karl said as he swiftly grabbed my arm and led me out... 'Sorry!' I mouthed to Willy, silently thanking my lucky stars I was saved from that and headed out. I'm never doing that again, I promised myself as we headed to the bus stop at 2.00am. Little did I know...

Comments