Subtle Surprises

I sat in the office zoning out for a second, though I had plenty of stuff to do. Starting this new job was the best thing ever, financially and socially, but as my job description was still being defined, I had a lot of uncertainty as to exactly what was expected of me :/

I remembered the first day I came for the interview, I was dressed in my favourite stripped tie and lavender shirt, but the boss who I sat across from, Benard, was in a tee and sandals. Talk about feeling over-dressed. He had a lovely smile though, the kind that lit up the entire room and drew in an unsuspecting (gay) guy like myself. I had heard rumours about him, before I even came here... though he's married but has some experience (much like other television presenters I see almost everyday). And I'm not talking about work experience...

'Calvin! How are you doing today?' Benard's voice boomed, interrupting my reverie. Nothing could have stopped the smile that spread across my face as I saw his good looking, stubbled visage staring back at me. 'I'm doing great thanks,' I mustered, trying to take down my smile. 'how come I didn't see any of you guys at the show yesterday?' he asked my two colleagues and I. 'I'm sorry, forgot all about it... You should have sent us reminders.' I covered, looking at Edith and Carol, my colleagues on our project. 'Eti reminders? Wewe ni fala sana...' he said laughing as he came closer to our partitioned desk.

I got abit uneasy with the invasion on personal space, though he was across from my desk. The tough thing with being on the DL is that sometimes you go abit overboard when it comes to trying to act straight around a guy you're not too sure about, and not wanting to create the wrong impression. We all burst out laughing to humor the boss. In all honesty, he is a laid back guy and easy to fall for.

Then he went on... 'I love the way you dress Calvin, keep it up.' And just like that we were back to ground zero. I felt my member jerk in my corduroy pants abit... why does that have to happen all the time?

Which reminds me, why is it so hard for a gay guy to not read in between the lines in a conversation with a straight guy. I can't remember how many times by other 'blue' buddies have told me they think the number of gays in Nairobi is like 90 percent the population... is that wishful thinking or just fact? Hmm...

After a few other light comments, Benard left us to head on to his office, and I was back to Facebook, admiring the shirtless models in and off my friends list while I mutli-tasked with my MS Word work document. The usual online chatters were making an appearance on my TL and I just remembered I had a date for this evening with the chat box that opened....

'I hope you're still available for 5.30pm today, we can link up in town at (that place I told you)' - Monso told me. He's a not-too-slim attractive Kenyan-Nigerian who's been in the friend zone for about three months and it's about time we met I figured.

'Sure thing, I'll be there sharp :) ... See you then' I ended. It was some minutes to 5.00pm. I had forgotten all about that but there was no way I was gonna tell him that...Besides, I've been super curious for a while to meet him so I was like 'why not?'

Half an hour later I was walking into the venue... an open area on the fourth floor of a downtown Nairobi building and it was relaxed and not-too generously lit, with the evening breeze whispering into the restaurant. The crowd isn't that young though but I don't mind. I spotted Monso at the counter, clad in some fine fitting beige trousers which showed off his tight firm ass and a shirt that hugged his equally well defined upper body. His back was to me at first but when I walked up to him, the smile that registered on his face was ample evidence that the feeling (of attraction?) was mutual.

Are straight guys this sexual? I asked myself... because the first thing I find gay guys always sizing up is how good the other is in bed. Now, let me point out I appreciate individuality and I don't think all men are the same. If I did, I would never date another guy after I broke up with my ex in a rather horrid but amicable affair. Well, that's another post altogether.

I lay my bag down, not a man purse though: I like to think I'm a 'straight-acting' guy, whatever that means LOL, and sat on the stool just next to him.

'You're looking really good today,' Monso said as he sipped on the Novida he had in his hand.
'Thanks, you're looking delicious too,' I replied, with my A-game on. Nothing like getting laid after but just being interesting. He smiled, I smiled back. I could see he was sizing me up.

The conversation metamorphosed from pleasantries to brief flirtations, then he looked away over my shoulder and said, 'Ah, you're here...'

I turned back to see who that was and found out it was Terence, a guy I had had a wild night with a few months back...

Comments